Do Impact Windows and Doors in Miami Lead to Homeowners Insurance Discounts?
Absolutely! According to Florida Statute 627.0629 on residential property insurance, homeowners insurance providers are required to “provide savings to consumers who install or implement windstorm damage mitigation techniques, alterations, or solutions to their properties to prevent windstorm losses.” As a matter of course, this includes impact windows and doors in Miami, among other “windstorm damage mitigation techniques.” So how do insurance discounts work?
Obtaining Discounts Through Citizens & Other Insurance Companies
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a non-profit insurance provider. It was created in 2002 to deal with the exact problems as impact windows and doors in Miami: hurricanes. A decade earlier, Florida had witness Hurricane Andrew, the costliest storm in American history at that time. Florida residents were unable to obtain adequate coverage to compensate for their losses, so Citizens was formed. Now, it’s the #1 home insurance provider in the state.
Being that Citizens is the top insurer in Florida, consumers such as yourself ought to know how they handle discounts for impact windows and doors in Miami. According to the Citizens wind mitigation policy, insurance premium discounts are subject to the following standards:
- Inspections by Citizens or a third party
- Mitigation techniques must cover all openings of the house
- Do not apply to mobile homes
- Only apply to the windstorm damage part of your policy premium
- Must comply with the Florida Building Code (2001 or later)
This is how Citizens handles insurance premium discounts. Other discount policies vary by insurance provider, but they more or less follow the same guidelines.
Getting the Best Discount Through Impact Windows and Doors in Miami
“Wind mitigation techniques” are not limited only to impact windows and doors in Miami. They also include shutters. Nevertheless, there are good reasons to consider impact windows and doors over hurricane shutters:
- Taking into account the time, effort and money spent installing shutters, impact windows and doors in Miami cost less. Therefore, you get more bang for your buck with your discount.
- Hurricane impact windows and doors also increase your home security. So, your insurance provider may also deduct security/burglary portions from your insurance.
- There is little debate that the more attractive options are impact windows and doors in Miami. Thus, you will obtain an insurance discount without sacrificing property value.
Contact your insurance agent for more information on how impact resistant windows and doors can give you credits/discounts on your insurance policy. To get your impact windows and doors in Miami, call Prestige at (866) 466-5094 today!